Tuesday, January 17, 2006

JAGGED LITTLE HAPPY PILL

Ah, the wonderful silliness and poetry of Animal Collective… While I’ve been immersing myself in the work of Alice Coltrane, John Coltrane and Miles Davis of late, Andrew came into work singing “Aaaah, the bees, the bees, the bees, rwaaa-rwaaaaa-rwaaaaaaa…” yesterday morning, complete with slo-mo vocals, giving me a) the giggles all morning, and b) an instant urge to play Feels yet again.


The wonderful Feels

Although I still consider Campfire Songs as my favourite, I must admit that I have possibly played Feels more than the rest of the AC albums together. This album is the best cheer-up pill I know. Grass especially appears to exercise some major endorphin-based reaction with me, although Did You See The Wortds, Banshee Beat, Turn Into Something or Bees all work wonders on me too.


Animal Collective masked...

I have unfortunately managed to get through the last three years or four years without seeing them live, which is, considering my claim of way back when that I hadn’t fallen for a band as I did with Animal Collective since I had heard the Cocteau Twins properly for the first time on a spring day of 1988 and felt the need to buy their entire discography within a few weeks, totally daft. Perhaps I could break the only new year’s resolution I have ever kept (not to make any new year’s resolutions) and make this a goal for this year.