Wednesday, March 29, 2006

THE KNIFE: CUTTING EDGE POP

Upon recommendation from Woody, I’ve been giving the new Knife album a thorough listen over the last few days, and I must say that I actually really like it. If I instantly liked Heartbeat from Deep Cuts (well before the Jose Gonzalez version surfaced on our TV screens for that Sony ad), the rest of their previous album kinda left me a bit cold around the edges.

Image hosting by Photobucket
THE KNIFE Silent Shout (Brille, 2006)

Silent Shout is somehow quite different. Proudly wearing its bleeps and other rumbling noises on its pop sleeves, this album sounds a bit like if an E’d Kate Bush had teamed up with Depeche Mode at their most electronic and had been remixed by Orbital. Woody described Silent Shout as “scary – like being attacked by mechanical toys”. Not sure about the mechanical toys bit, but scary it surely is. And beautiful, in a sick kinda way…