Thursday, March 09, 2006

REAL HORRORSHOW

I invested the last remaining pounds of the voucher I got for doing a little job in a couple of DVDs, the first one, Kubrik's fabulous adaptation of Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange, and the second, Kubrik's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The first of the DVDs, A Clockwork Orange, turned up today, and I have just finished watching it.



I first became aware of the film while growing up, as Orange Mechanique. Well before I knew anything about the film, or the book, I was fascinated by the absurdity of the French title (Mechanical Orange) as much as its strange poetry. The film was available in France and regularly played in a local cinema, and when I turned 18 (it was, of course, given an 18 certificate), I went to see it. I can't say I remembered much of the film, but I remember being impressed by the particular aesthetic developed by Kubrik. I also found it all very dated.



Viddying it again some fifteen years or so later, and having read the book a couple of years ago, I realise how terribly modern and fresh it is now, and how controversial and shocking it must have been back then. I found the book a lot more disturbing though, perhaps because of the non-English words inserted as part of the common language, but most probably because only the limitations of my imagination served as boundaries to the sheer horror of the story.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home