Saturday, February 04, 2006

SAINT-ETIENNE: THE TRIP

I felt the need to have some nice music this morning, the kind of cool Saturday morning stuff, and came across the superb The Trip compilation that Saint Etienne put together some months ago. This is one of the most delightful selections of songs I know. Spread over two CDs are collected some fine 60s and 70s (mostly) songs. CD1 kicks off with Serge Gainsbourg’s Cannabis and also features stuff like Gene Page (All Our Dreams Are Coming True), Gloria Scott ((A Case Of) Too Muck Lovemakin’), Marvin Gaye (Symphony), The Mamas & Papas (Shooting Star), Ennio Morricone (Deus Irae Psychedelico), The Attack (Lady Orange Peel) or Lalo Schifrin (Jaws). CD2 is my favourite though, with tracks from John & Beverley Martin (Auntie Aviator), Dillark & Clark (The Radio Song), Fairport Convention (Autopsy), Scott Walker (Angels Of Ashes) or Julie Covington (My Silk & Fine Arrays) to name just a few.

I would be lying if I said that I knew even a tenth of the songs on this (my musical knowledge is actually very compartmented and selective somehow) so it makes this record even more exiting every time I play it.