Monday, December 19, 2005

WHODIS COPPESTA?

I’ve finally given Coppé’s new opus, the bumper double album she is releasing to coincide with the tenth anniversary of her label, Mango & Sweet Rice, a full listen. 34 tracks spread over two CDs no less. As usual, she collaborates with a wide array of people including former Orb member Kris ‘Thrash’ Weston, Q Bert, Ryan Breen, Nobukazu Takemura, Samurai Chop, DJ Vadim, Kettel, Mickey The Cat, Dokaka, The Program and many more. And, as usual, this album is extremely varied. Highlights include so far the superb My Tears Become Lavender Oil which I find quite reminiscent of Yazoo’s sombre and haunting piano-led Winter Kills, the lovely Green Tea Chocolate and the loungey Cutting Toenails In The Park.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The beautiful Coppé captured by Tony Williams

I first heard of Coppé when my friend Nathalie, who then worked for a Belgian distribution company, sent me a copy of her third proper album, Peppermint, which featured collaborations with Plaid and DJ Vadim. I fell in love straight away, and contacted her to ask whether she would be interested in doing an interview. She was up for it, and we’ve been in touch ever since.

She’s been doing a lot of different stuff over the years, and her work is rather difficult to sum up in just one word, but she’s probably best associated with the likes of Björk and Nicolette.