Thursday, March 30, 2006

COMPULSIVE LISTENING SESSIONS

I’ve been doing a bit of compulsive listening in the last couple of days, first with Autechre yesterday (Peel Sessions 1 & 2, LP5, EP7 and Confield) and then Björk last night and today (Post, Vespertine, Debut and Homogenic).

Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
BJÖRK: Homogenic (One Little India, 1997) - beautiful visuals from Me Company from the limited edition Digipak CD

Image hosting by Photobucket
BJÖRK: Vespertine (One Little India, 2001)

Listening to almost the entire post-Sugar Cubes Björk catalogue has brought back so many memories, right from the moment when my view on Björk totally changed when I first heard Violently Happy on the radio while I was working the night shift in a petrol station back home all these years ago, to the feeling of intense joy I always feel when playing Homogenic. Although Vespertine is probably my overall favourite album of hers, Homogenic contains two of my favourite Björk songs, Jóga (the "tectonic" video is just sublime - see below) and Bachelorette, the latter featuring some of the most beautiful lyrics I know…

Bachelorette
I'm a fountain of blood
in the shape of a girl
you're the bird on the brim
hypnotized by the whirl

Drink me - make me feel real
wet your beak in the stream
the game we're playing is life
love's a two way dream

Leave me now - return tonight
tide will show you the way
if you forget my name
you will go astray
like a killer whale trapped in a bay

I'm a path of cinders
burning under your feet
you're the one who walks me
I'm your one way street

I'm a whisper in water
a secret for you to hear
you're the one who grows distant
when I beckon you near

I'm a tree that grows hearts
one for each that you take
you're the intruders hand
I'm the branch that you break

Leave me now - return tonight
tide will show you the way
if you forget my name
you will go astray
like a killer whale trapped in a bay

From bjork.com

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home